Extension 1938

1938 Extension

 

The Bakersfield Californian experienced significant growth in the 1930’s, allowing the Californian to expand its facilities. The newspaper purchased a new printing press and established separate engraving and photography departments. An extension of the original structure was required to house these expanded operations for the newspaper. The 1938 addition was a 9,500 square foot three story structure affixed to the north side of the building that matched the structure’s original Italian Renaissance Revival architectural style.

The extension to the Bakersfield Californian building, also design by architect Charles Biggar, features a similar, though less ornate, architectural style.