The Bakersfield Californian continued to expand its readership and subscribers as the city of Bakersfield grew over the decades. In 1964 the Bakersfield Californian purchased a new rotary printing press. This press was very large and required another addition to the building to house the new equipment. The 1964 addition was a two story 9,250 square foot addition that matched the architecture of the original structure. The press from the 1938 extension that the 1964 addition replaced was donated to the Kern County Museum.